The Clyde Family

The Clyde Family

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tyler's guts...


So, as Tyler's birth defect goes, we have been really lucky. He hasn't had any lasting health issues because of having CDH. From birth to age 5, he was on reflux meds. It's almost unheard of for CDH kids to not have reflux, it's kind of just a given, so 4 years ago when he had an upper GI that showed no "significant" signs of reflux and no scarring, we were elated!!!! We have always questioned how long this would last, but have enjoyed every second he was off medication!!!!

About a month ago, he started throwing up really early in the morning, about once a week and no other symptoms of being sick. I knew deep down that our days of no meds were over. I ignored it for 3 weeks and then when the 4th time hit, I knew it was time to get it looked at.

We went in to our beloved doctor and he ordered an upper GI and chest x-ray. The upper GI to look for reflux and the chest x-ray to make sure his diaphragm isn't being naughty and moving again. I love that Dr. Chamberlain doesn't take any chances. He takes Tyler's health VERY serious and I also love that he will take my mother's intuition serious too. He knows that I have made myself an expert on CDH and always takes my instincts into play. That is important to us.

We get a chest x-ray at least once each year, that's the easiest way to make sure everything is staying put. If the patch on his diaphragm (that makes up quite a bit of his diaphragm) were to tear, he would go into respiratory failure and we'd be in deep trouble. It's no joke, we have to make sure it stays in place.

So, yesterday was the day for the upper GI. The GI doctor was talking to me while they did the test and said that there was significant reflux once the barium got into his stomach. It would go all the way down, clear into his stomach and then reflux back out. He was impressed that Tyler's guts look so good for how bad his defect was!!! I like hearing that stuff!!! So, we knew Dr. Chamberlain would get the report today and would tell us what kind of treatment we were going to do.

I got a call from Dr. Chamberlain's office today that he needs to go back on Prevacid. It's a good thing. I don't think Tyler feels the pain of reflux, I think it's the "norm" for him, so I'm glad we got the upper GI to SEE it instead of just treating him.

So we're back on the meds!!! We knew it wouldn't last long. The stomach is kind of a snotty organ. It doesn't like to be touched or moved and his had been both.... severely. Sadly, it's nothing that diet or vitamins or anything else will help, it's just the way his body is built.

We are so grateful for modern medicine and the chance it gives my son to live a normal life, pain and illness free!!!

No comments: