The Clyde Family

The Clyde Family

Monday, April 27, 2009

You name it.....


What's in a name? This is my newest great-nephew (for those of you that are idiots like me... that's my niece's new baby boy), Stetson Cort Taylor. He was born Saturday at 10:06pm and he told me I'm his favorite aunt already, second to Aunt Brookie!!! He is such a doll and I am so proud of Brittney. She's amazing. So, your name... what does it mean to you? Mine, Hope, such a simple name, a lot of people think I was named Hope because my parents were hoping for a boy (I am the youngest of 6 girls), but I think it had a little more to do with drugs and living in the 70's.... keep in mind, I was adopted!!!! But Hopie? Well, my sister had a baby when I was 3, and Aunt Hope sounds so big for a little kid, so it became Hopie. I know my long time friends because they call me Hopie. Even my friend's parent's still call me Hopie. I prefer it, actually. Now, Randy's full name is Randy Garth, his doctor's name was Garth and that's where that came from. His parents had THAT much respect for the old Dr. Last. When it comes to our kids, Maddison is simple, I always liked that name, but Randy wanted a weird name and I refused, so when I was doped up after a c-section, he filled out the birth certificate and intentionally put a second D in there. I was mad at first, but now? She is definitely Maddison, with 2 D's!!! Maddison's middle name Rose, was my dad's sister's name. She died when my dad what a little boy, so we did it to honor my dad. Tyler? I just always liked that name. Tyler James, after Randy's dad (James Richard), but if you ask Tyler, he's named after his Uncle Cory (Cory James). Then we have Cambelle. Randy's mom's maiden name is Campbell, and as you know, there is a lot of Scottish pride in our family. On NBC, there is a newscaster named Campbell Brown, I thought, if she can do it... so can we!!!! But I wanted to doll it up a little, so we spelled it Cambelle. She doesn't have a middle name, we knew Cambelle had enough history, she didn't need anything else. But, those aren't the only names we go by... Randy often to me is Randolpharino. Aunt Launa calls my kids Maddy Moo, Tee Ty, and Cambella. Adam calls Cambelle, Cam-bo. And I've been known to be called you-little-shit from time to time. Randy calls Tyler, Bubba (I don't know why) and lately had been calling him Duck!?! To Randy, Maddison is Whooper and Cambelle is Turkey. They even answer to those crazy names, they know who he's talking to!!! I love having special names for loved ones. There are plenty more nick names that my kids have, but I have to stop somewhere!!!! So, what's with YOUR name?

5 comments:

Malea said...

Interesting read, 'lil Hopie.
Wow, I could and should do a whole posting on the naming in our family. Thanks for the idea-r.

Misty @Creative Itch said...

My Mom really wanted to name me Christy, but my Dad wanted to keep with the 'M' names (my older brother and sister are Michael and Melinda). So they put an 'M' in front, and Misty became my name. Yeah, it's pretty boring....but my last name was Woods, so being a 'Misty Woods' was pretty cool, expecially around Halloween!

Erin said...

Cool post HopIE! :) Ellie's middle name is Alta and she is named after mine and Kenny's grandma's. And that about sums it up for our history! Addison is just a named I've loved for a long time. Fun to hear all the cute nicknames your familiy has!

Amy said...

http://goesergal.blogspot.com/2008/03/whats-in-name.html

This is my blog about how we got our names. Great minds think alike, right?

Anonymous said...

my Name is WILMA BLANCHE oh yes they did name me that, and I was NOT the adpoted one!!
Hopie how blessed you are LOL