The Clyde Family

The Clyde Family

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Maddison's feeling the burn!!!

So, Maddison broke out in this rash on Monday night. I gave her some Benadryl, and sent her to bed. Next morning, still there, more Benadryl and sent her to school. Randy has allergies and she's been sneezing a lot, so I assumed it was allergies. She gets home from school and her cheeks are even more red (her cheeks aren't red in this picture). So I got some Cotizone cream and hoped that would do the trick. Yesterday, got up and her cheeks looked like they had a really bad sunburn. I decided it was best to keep her home from school and call the doctor. This picture is pretty much what her body looks like from her neck to her knees. Took her in and as soon as the Dr. saw her he said, "Ohhhhh, Fifths Disease!!!". Sometimes it's called "slapped cheek syndrome". It's one of the 5 most common viruses. It's extremely contagious. So, she'll be home from school as long as she has the rash and the other kids WILL get it. The biggest problem is with pregnant women. If a pregnant woman gets this, it will cause damage to the baby. So, good thing we're not around a lot of preggos... oh wait, we ARE!!! There goes our interaction with Brittney, Gina and Kristie. It should only last a few days EACH KID!!! She feels fine, so we're in for some cabin fever, I'm sure!!! It will go away without any medicine. Sometimes there's a fever that comes with it, but Maddison hasn't had one. Most adults have had it and once you have it, you can't get it again. Anyhow, I thought I would post this picture so Grandma could see how bad it is!!! Stay away from Maddison!!!

7 comments:

Megan said...

poor thing... poor mom... I have heard of the 5th disease but never seen it... thanks for posting a picture of it... Good luck!!!

Heidi said...

Thats crazy! I hope she gets feeling better soon. And I hope none of the rest of you get it.

Alton clan said...

that makes ME itch.....poor girl. I know it's not really bothering her, but that looks awfully annoying.

Zitting Zoo said...

Oh man! My kids had this in LA and I had never heard of it- I hope your week is good and that the rest of the kids don't get it- just bella and jaxson got it-if i remember correctly it needs lots of ice cream and their fave movies!

Aleisha said...

Oh that doesn't look fun.

Lacey said...

That looks awful!!

I Loved your Middle School story...made me laugh. Especially thinking of you and Mr. Bundy!!

Nettie said...

I have never heard of that before! it has a silly name, do you know why they call it that? take notes so I can log them away for later cases of this wacky virus.